When the Indiana Pacers rescinded the contract offer to forward Tyler Hansbrough that allowed him to become an unrestricted free agent. It also got me to thinking, what would be the best landing spot for the former Tar Heel star?
5. Golden State Warriors: In my opinion the main reason Tyler Hansbrough would be interested in Golden State is there ready to win now. The teams foundation is set with superstar point guard Stephen Curry, fellow sharp shooter guard Clay Thompson and budding star former Tar Heel Harrison Barnes. One of the holes on the team is at the power forward position. With forward Carl Landry signing with the Kings and forward/center Andris Biedrins being traded that opens up a spot for someone who will do the dirty work as well as provide some interior toughness on a squad with mostly finesse players.
4. Indiana Pacers: While many believe this ship has sailed, I think there is a chance Psycho T will return to Indiana. Its fact that the Pacers have rescinded the contract offer to their 2009 first round draft pick, but it wasn’t for the lack of interest in Hansbrough. That move was done so that the Pacers can stay under the salary cap(and not pay luxury tax penalty) but also so they could address the point guard position and they did by signing veteran back-up C.J. Watson. If the price is right don’t be surprised to see Hansbrough back in blue and gold.
3. Charlotte Bobcats: Before forward Al Jefferson signed for 3 years and 41 million dollars, this would have been the top landing spot for Tyler. Off the court this makes sense for the Bobcats and Hansbrough. It would boost ticket and jersey sales and give the good folks of Charlotte someone to root for while the team finds its way. On the court this move makes sense as well. He would provide depth and not to mention hustle and energy all of which the Bobcats could use.
2. Atlanta Hawks: The one and only reason to sign with the Hawks at this time is simply playing time. The ATL is rebuilding and since the team decided to let forward Josh Smith sign with Detroit there will be plenty of dollars and minutes available with the Hawks. If Hansbrough wants to be on a contender he shouldn’t consider Atlanta, but if he wants to play and put up decent numbers and secure a future long-term deal this is the perfect spot.
1. Denver Nuggets: For me the Mile High City is the ideal home for #50. The Nuggets have the cap space to pay him more of what he’s looking for and they can offer solid playing time on a team that should be right in the thick of things in the rugged western conference. By signing with Denver it would Hansbrough and former UNC teammate point guard Ty Lawson. Playing with a floor general of Lawson’s caliber would probably help Tyler reach his ceiling but it would also make a lot of people in Chapel Hill Nuggets fans.
No one really knows where Tyler Hansbrough will end up but for his sake I hope he ends up in a place where he is happy and contend for a title.